Today is my birthday!
Upon the birthday that has aged me a quarter of a century, I have decided to create a blog post about everything that I have learned in these 25 years. Over the course of my life, I have learned a lot of lessons — many of them have been learned the hard way. Although I may not have quite enjoyed the journey to learning these lessons, I am grateful today that I have this knowledge and peace.
So, here are 25 things I have learned in 25 years:
1. We all go through difficult seasons.
Life is not always to going to be rainbows and sunshine. Sometimes you are going to face a difficult season, but remember that you will get through it.
2. Not everyone will like you and that’s okay.
3. You cannot hold yourself back out of fear about what other people will think.
Seriously, y’all. However big and crazy your dream may seem, go out there and chase it! You never know what might happen.
4. God is not trying to steal your fun.
Before I fully committed my life to Christ, I viewed God as a controlling enforcer. It felt as if He was keeping us from all the fun things in life. But that is not true! He simply wants the best for you. As my pastor recently said, “If you stay focused on everything you should not be doing, you won’t feel gratitude for the things you can do”.
5. Be true to yourself, even if it makes you less popular.
6. You are more than the amount of ‘likes’ you get on social media.
If you feel bad about yourself when you don’t receive many ‘likes’, it is time to reevaluate how you are using social media. Trust me, I’ve been there! Social media is dangerous when we begin to place our value in ‘likes’.
7. Someone will always be doing better than you and that’s okay. We all grow at a different pace.
Stop comparing yourself to everyone else!
8. Some people will choose to not be in your life. All you can do is forgive and move forward.
9. Worrying will not change your situation.
Worry is a normal part of life in a difficult situation, but be careful that you do not allow it to control you. When worry takes over our life, it only brings destruction; worry does not improve the situation.
10. Finding daily gratitude is essential, even on your worst days.
A positive mindset will help you in every way imaginable.
11. You need people who will inspire you and support you.
12. You deserve to be seen and to be heard.
Share your opinions, take the spotlight sometimes… you deserve it! Never feel like you aren’t worthy of making yourself known.
13. A dog will truly change your life for the better.
14. Use the gifts that God has blessed you with.
15. Protect your body by being healthy. Drink less soda, eat less sugar, and move your body!
16. Do not waste money in an attempt to “keep up”.
Oh, boy! I wasted so much money during undergrad by trying to keep up with trends and with other girls in my sorority. I ran up credit card debt in the process and I am still paying that off. So, trust me, friend. Do not waste money on this!
17. Do not use credit cards.
If you do use credit cards, use them wisely.
18. Always take at least 24 hours to consider big decisions. Do not act impulsively.
19. If you are upset, walk away from the argument. Take a deep breath and return once you are calm.
I have said things to people that I did not mean in the heat of the moment. It is essential to walk away and calm yourself down before continuing a conversation so that you do not make this mistake.
20. Just because they are family does not mean they aren’t toxic.
21. When given the chance to fall in love, take the leap.
If Chris and I hadn’t agreed to attempt dating one year ago, who knows how long it could have taken for us to fall in love, if ever!
22. Be present with the people around you.
23. When you do not want to do something that you know will be good for you because it is hard or scary, just do it anyway.
24. Motivation will never just come to you — you have to work for it.
Motivation comes from habit. You will never instantly have the motivation to wake up at 5AM every weekday and run a mile. However, after you have done that for so many days, it will become a natural part of your routine.
25. Be grateful for each day and each year that you are blessed with.